Sunday, July 22, 2012

Mongoose View

For sometime now, I have been fascinated by the thought "If I were a Mongoose in the wild?". I am aware of the risks it might pose and also the concern for the personal safety. At the same time, I was committed not to break the law of the jungle!

I decided to experiment during my recent trip to Serengeti (July 2012). It all started with my one of my favourites - Zebra. They are vary of any movement and sound. I had to be careful not to alert (but failed). Used the thick, tall grass as the foreground and the mountain as the background and tried a few shots.



Next was the turn of a herd of Buffaloes. I was most worried when I saw the look on their faces. But I decided to venture in to the open, crawled a bit to take up the right spot - in the full view of the herd which was not very happy. Managed to take a few images and slowly retreated to my vehicle.



Then came the magic in my life.

Saw a huge herd of elephants of all sizes at some distance. With the young ones in the herd, I know, elephants are one hell of dangerous creatures.




Influenced by "Mad" Mike and Mark, especially Mike, I was strategising my thoughts of being a Mongoose against the mighty African Elephants.

Asking my guide to watch my "back", I ventured into the wild. With adrenaline pumping, after checking the wind direction (to ensure that my scent is not carried to the tusker), took a hiding behind the tall grass. Was literally on the battleground - my training during my days in NCC and the rifle range came handy now. Armed with my Nikon D3S, 200 - 400 lens and a bean bag started shooting the tusker which was at a good distance of over 200 meters with the hope (and confidence) that he will be my poster boy! Images can't express the view I had from the box office in the open air theatre!!!




I had a sense that he knows my presence. He did walk in my direction.










Then it dawned on me that the wind direction has changed and he definitely knew my presence.

I was excited about taking this image. This is a full frame image at 200 mm!






Next second I saw the blurred image in my viewfinder and knew (Thats because of another story of my brush with a Jackal in Bharatpur) it is time to pull back. I realised we were too close (less than 15 feet) to each other.

The Mongoose slowly backed out and climbed into the jeep. My friend came close to the Jeep and gave me one look and told me something and walked away.

I am still reliving those moments. I promise I will be careful!!!!

Cheers till the next note.



No comments:

Post a Comment